Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Teri

Default WHAT DOES THE SYMBOL"$" REPRESENT IN A EXCEL FORMULA?

Is there a place one can go to get a complete listing of all the operators
used in the various formulas and what they do? I am not really "new" to
Excel, but I have always had a problem with formulas and what operators do
what.

Thanks,

Teri.

"Neil" wrote:

It's used to create an absolute cell reference, i.e. one that will not be
changed even when the formual is copied and pasted.

Without the the $ symbol, a formula such as =A1+B1 in cell C1 would be
changed to =A2+C2 if it was copied into cell C2, whilst this is useful if
you're creating a table of information, it can some times be a pain.

By changing the original formula to =$A$1+$B$1, it will not change when
copied.

The above example keeps it entirely intact, you can just put $ signs in
front of some parts of the formula to keep them intact, and have other parts
change e.g. =$A$1+B1, would allow the second cell reference to change with
the location of the formula.

HTH

Neil
www.nwarwick.co.k

P.S. Is your Caps lock key broken? It's considered bad manners to 'shout'

"EXCEL NOVICE" wrote:

SORRY FOR THE NOVICE EXCEL QUESTION - IM JUST LEARNING THE PROGRAM AND CANT
SEEM TO FIND IN "HELP" ALL SYMBOLS FOR FORMULAS