Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Default search for a word in csv file

I don't know if this will work for you, but there are desktop search utilities.

Google has one:
http://desktop.google.com/?promo=mp-gds-v1-1

MSN has one:
http://toolbar.msn.com/desktop/resul...?FORM=MSNHB&q=

cgkuhle wrote:

I am frequently emailed files which are csv files. I can open them in MS
Excel 2003 fine. I always save these files on disk from the email (save
attachments). Therefore, the files save as .csv files. Windows (XP) file
search will not find specific words unless I open EVERY file in Excel, then
save it as a worksheet. This would take far too long.

Can someone tell me how to search for a specific word in the various files
in the directory? Alternatively, can someone tell me how to convert a large
number of files from .csv to .xls without opening each one and using "Save
As"?

Thanks

--

Dave Peterson