Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ben

Default VLOOKUP from closed file using INDIRECT function

=VLOOKUP(M4,INDIRECT("'C:\MetalRisk\PriceData\["&AB4&".xls]Diffs3'!$B$3:$Z$1892"),$AB$3,FALSE)

The above formula works fine except that the file that contains the table
array has to be open. The purpose behind my using the indirect function was
to specify the name of the file in AB4 and to avoid having to open it. I have
tried using a line of code like ActiveWorkbook.Updatelink followed by the
file name to be opened but it still does not update the cell. Doing it
manually in EDIT-LINKS also does not work. But as soon as I open the file the
the cell updates immediately. Can anybody suggest how I can use this indirect
function WITHOUT opening the file containg the data array. Thank you