Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
TESA0_4

Default How do I get a line break when using a formula to combine cell

Thanks David. The two links provided further insight into the CHAR function.
However, I am still interested to know where it is documented that CHAR(10)
has the effect of a line break within a cell when used in a function. I have
played around with all the CHAR values from 1 to 255 and have not detected
any other 'hidden' functions like CHAR(10). Does anyone know if there are
other CHAR values that control formating within a cell or have some other
function other than to display a character?

"David Biddulph" wrote:

"TESA0_4" wrote in message
"Gary''s Student" wrote:

"TESA0_4" wrote:

I want to combine names and addresses into single cells, but I want a
line
break so that the name is on one line and the address on the next line
within
a cell. When manually entering data to a cell ALT,ENTER gives line
break. I
want the formula to give the same effect as ALT,ENTER.
I'm using Excel2003.
Thanks if you can help!!

Be sure to format to allow line-wraping, then use:

=A1 & CHAR(10) & B1

in place of

=A1 & B1

Great! Thanks for the help.
However, can you help with a follow-on question? Where do I go to review
what each CHAR value is and the functional effect that it has in a
formula.
In other words, how can I work out that CHAR(10) has the same effect as
ALT,ENTER in a cell?

Try http://www.techonthenet.com/ascii/chart.php or
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/chars.htm
--