Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JimMay

Default Summing cells that contain numbers and text

It would be helpful if you showed several examples of your data.

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote in message
:

Do you mean like

1
2
3
etc

then SUM(Range)

will ignore the text values, but if your value are like

1a
2
3b
etc

then you can't sum unless you can extract the number but then the question
is what are the different text
strings, where in the cells are they (before/after number)?

If the latter you should rethink your design and tag the values in separate
cells, it's not a good design if you can't calculate numbers without first
going to length in extracting them from text first

Note that you can use a custom format in the cells like

0.00 "tag"

then it will display as 12.25 tag
but the value would be numerical

Peo Sjoblom

http://nwexcelsolutions.com

"Mango" wrote in message
Hello-
I'm trying to sum columns that contain mostly number values, but that also
contain some occasional text. Excel, of course, ignores those cells that
contain text. I've noticed other users with similar questions, but I'm
still
not getting it. The text does not have any quantitative value. It is
merely a
visual tag that I want to print along with the number value. Is there a
way
to make Excel ignore the text but still add the data? Perhaps a formula
for
each cell that contains text + data that makes the SUM formula "see" only
the
data for that cell? Please dumb it down for me, I'm new to Excel. Thanks.