Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Hans Knudsen

Default Summing cells that contain numbers and text

Mango
Did you get your problem solved?
Otherwise you might want to try the custom format
0 "(late fee)"

Hans

"Mango" skrev i en meddelelse ...
Hey Chuck- I tried doing what you said, but I got an error message saying
"Excel cannot use the number format you typed. Try using one of the built in
number formats." I typed in "0 +fee". Interestingly, I typed in "0+f" and it
worked! I then became curious and tried different scenarios. Typing "0f"," 0
f", "0(f)", "0 +f "worked. Typing "0(fee)", "0 fe", "0fee" brought up the
error message.I don't know what is going on.

"CLR" wrote:

Yes, try it on a test sheet...........
Where I put 0 A , you could put 0 (late fee) in for the formatting
and then just type the number in the cell.......

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Mango" wrote:

CLR-
I'm sorry, I don't understand. Will Excel print the number + text in the
cell, and add the number value in the SUM formula?

"CLR" wrote:

Although awkward, you can append the Letters to the numbers in a cell with
Custom Formatting........Right-click on the cell, choose FormatCells
NumberTab Custom and in the Type: window, put 0 A (that's zero and A, or
whatever letter you wish to append) OK.....then type only the number
portion in the cell.

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Mango" wrote:

Hello-
I'm trying to sum columns that contain mostly number values, but that also
contain some occasional text. Excel, of course, ignores those cells that
contain text. I've noticed other users with similar questions, but I'm still
not getting it. The text does not have any quantitative value. It is merely a
visual tag that I want to print along with the number value. Is there a way
to make Excel ignore the text but still add the data? Perhaps a formula for
each cell that contains text + data that makes the SUM formula "see" only the
data for that cell? Please dumb it down for me, I'm new to Excel. Thanks.