Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Krista

Default Count ; in cell

Perfect -- Thanks much!
--
Krista

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

=LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,";",""))+1

what if there are no semicolons, do you want 0 + 1 or 0 only, for the former
the above formula works, for the latter

=LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,";",""))+ISNUMBER(FIND(";",A1))

which will work for the former as well

Peo Sjoblom

http://nwexcelsolutions.com

"Krista" wrote in message
I've got another software program that will be filling a cell in Excel
based
on a multi-select drop-down list. The Excel cell could read

Algonquin;Bloomingdale;Burr Ridge

I'm trying to count the occurrences of ; in that cell then add 1 to get a
total of the number of drop-down selections made from the other program.

The value that I'm looking for here in this example is 3. I've tried
everything that I know to no avail.

Thanks much in advance!!!
--
Krista