tim

Default What formula is used for subtracting a range of different cells f.

What formula can I use for subtracting the values of a range of cells from an
initial cell value. I'd like to use an initial budget number and then itemize
as money is spent while at the same time having the budget number decrease as
more cell values (expenses) are added. I can add a range of cells, then put
that value in another cell (one formula), then I can take that sum and
subtract it from the starting budget number (second formula). I'm having
problems subtracting a range of cells from one cell with just one formula. I
thought I could use =A1-(A2:A10), meaning that the cell containing this
formula will subtract from A1 the values from A2 through A10. This ain't
flying. Any help appreciated.