Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Peo Sjoblom

Default Count occurences of "1"/"0" (or"TRUE"/"FALSE") in a row w. conditions in the next

If they are numbers you can use

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A2:A21=1),--(B2:B21=1))

Peo Sjoblom

Excel 95 - Excel 2007
Northwest Excel Solutions
www.nwexcelsolutions.com
if you are in one stop digging." Lord Healey

"BCB" wrote in message

Hi

I am new here and have been snooping around some of the threads, yet
not quite found the simple formula I expect to solve my problem. The
closest matches seemed to advanced for my need, so I reckon and hope
this will be an easy one for the more experienced members.

What I'm looking for is a formula that will:
Count occurences of "1"/"0" (or"TRUE"/"FALSE") in a column with similar
conditions in the next column.
Say A2:A21 contains 9 "0"s and the remaining 11 are "1"s, of which only
5 (the "1"s) appear on the same row as "1"s occuring in the next column,
B (which is of the same length and with the "1"s and "0"s unevenly
distributed downward).

These five are the ones I'd like my Excel to count - in just one cell.
The issue is avoiding further multiplying of columns.

The basic SUMIF-function just doesn't count the ones. I've done some
feeble tweaking of several formulas, but just gotten some
VALUE!-exclamations back at best.
The ExcelTutor-business with the fruit-trees of different heights and
whatnot seemed to be the ticket, if one could simplify it some way -
but then it does not work when copied to a sheet. Maybe a virus..

Hope someone knows the trick, and thanks in advance

BCB
BCB's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=540522