Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ardus Petus

Default Matrix question

Oooops:
My formula takes the ascii code of the letter in A1 (65 for "A"), substracts
65 (result = 0 for "A) , multiplies that by 5 (result = 0 for "A", 5 for
"B", ..., 20 for "E") and finally adds the value found in B1

"Cootha" a écrit dans le message de news:
Hi Ardus Petus,
Thanks very much for your reply. Tried that and I get a #VALUE error in
C1.
Can you explain what it is that your formula is trying to do and I will
have
another try using my spreadsheet?
Any other suggestions?
Thanks again
Cootha

"Ardus Petus" wrote:

Enter in C1:
=(CODE(A1)-65)*5 + B1

HTH
--
AP

"Cootha" a écrit dans le message de
Hi everyone out there,
I have a spreadsheet (3 columns) and two of the columns have five
possible
inputs.
"Column A" has the following possibilities - Always (A), Likely (B),
Possible (C), Unlikely (D) and Rare (E).
"Column B" has the following possibilities -Insignificant (1), Minor
(2),
Moderate (3), Major (4) and Catastrophic (5).
I need "Column C" to return a value between 1 and 25 (with each number
corresponding to a particular combination of the input from columns A
and
B).
Have tried the IF formula, and it worked up to 7 values. Is there any
other
way to have up to 25 combinations of outcomes from my two columns, or
some
other formula that is more appropriate?
Thanks in advance for helping out.