Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JE McGimpsey

Default Sumproduct #value!

Actually, if you use the "correct" syntax of SUMPRODUCT, you can use
labels just fine, as SUMPRODUCT is set up to disregard anything than's
non-numeric. Instead of multiplying the ranges in the argument (so that
the arrays are multiplied prior to being handed to SUMPRODUCT), enter
them as separate arguments. For instance, instead of

=SUMPRODUCT(a * b * c)

use

=SUMPRODUCT(a, b, c)

for arrays of the form (A1:A1000=5), which return booleans, use double
negation to coerce the boolean into a numeric value:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(a)=0), --(a<=100),c)

See

http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/doubleneg.html

for more explanation.

As an added benefit, passing the arrays separately is at least slightly
faster than multiplying them first.

In article ,
wal50 wrote:

The only thing that wasn't a number was the column lable in row 1. When I
made the range C2:C8497, it worked. Thanks for the hint. I guess I should
leave out the label row in the future.