Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Don Guillett

Default Not sure how to do this, not even sure how to ask the question clearly...

It seems that if you already have the product codes and you already have a
list of the file name you can just make a lookup table with the codes in col
a and the filename in col b and then just use a simple VLOOKUP function.

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"rich" wrote in message
Don Guillett wrote:
If you want a list of file names, modify this to suit.

Sub FindFiles()
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
Dim FN As String ' For File Name
Dim ThisRow As Long
Dim FileLocation As String
FileLocation = "c:\yourfolder\*.jpg"
FN = Dir(FileLocation)
Do Until FN = ""
ThisRow = ThisRow + 1
Cells(ThisRow, 1) = FN
FN = Dir
Loop
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Thanks, the list of file names is not really the problem. I can get that
from Directory Opus. I thought someone might have a cunning method
precanned. I have not used spreadsheets in the past very often and never
to do anything more complicated than simple invoices, etc.

The real thing is the function that checks a column containing the names
(lots of random images are missing) and returns the name if it finds it to
the correct row.

sort of like this:

get product code (C1)

compare to list of image names

if found return product code or image name (put the result into B2)

else return nothing.