JE McGimpsey

You've been given solutions for what you asked for, but in general, it's
poor practice to return expected "errors" as errors. If you trapped the
NA error, returning a text or null string instead, you could use
Average() as is. For instance, if the #N/A is being generated by a
VLOOKUP():

=VLOOKUP(A1,J:K,2,FALSE)

You could trap the error:

=IF(ISNA(MATCH(A1,J:J,FALSE)),"Not Found",VLOOKUP(A1,J:K,2,FALSE))

and Average will ignore the text...

In article ,
"carl" wrote:

I have a formula in Col A,B,C,D that sometimes returns #N/A. I would like to
average the numbers in Col E but the average function returns #N/A.

Is there a way to use the average function to exclude the NA's ?