Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Arvi Laanemets

Default Limiting the range of AutoFilter?

Hi

Add a column into your table, where a group identificator is calculated.
P.e., when in column A always exist a value, when the row is not empty, then
into some column (X) ento row2 enter the formula :
=IF(A2="","",INT(ROW()/1000)+1)
, or
=IF(A2="","",LEFT(UPPER(A2))

Now you at first set autofilter to group column (the second formula allows
to group records alfabetically), and then filter the result for 'top 10'.
And avoid empty rows - otherwise you have to define the autofilter range
manually every time.

Arvi Laanemets

"CDiddy" wrote in
message ...

All,

Thanks in advance for taking a look at my problem. I appreciate it.

I'm trying to figure out how I limit the range that Autofilter
searches. Basically, I have approximately 1000 rows of data, then a
blank row, then a bunch more data beneath. I need to make it, so that
when I click on the arrow, and autofilter for 'top 10', it only gives
me the top 10 results in the upper range of data (the 1000 top rows),
and not the data that is beyond those first 1000 rows.

Is this possible using autofilter? I know I could do with the advanced
filter, but this workbook is used by people who need it to be as simple
as possible.

Thanks for your help.

CDiddy
CDiddy's Profile: