Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Newbie Question - Subtraction Formula Question

I am completely unfamiliar with Excel and have constructed a simple
spreadsheet which has two columns of figures.

The L.H. column contains Central Heating Gas meter readings each month
and the R.H. column is the difference between successive amounts in
the L.H. column, thus showing the amount of gas consumed each month.

The rows are the months ...Jan,Feb...etc.

At present I obtain each months consumption by physically subtracting
the last entry in the L.H. colums from the preceding entry in that
column and entering the result in the R.H. column.

I am , of course , aware of the basic subtraction formula " =A1-A2 ".

However , how do I get this formula to automatically adjust for the
descending cell names which will be necessary here as I procede each
month from A1, A2 , A3 ...etc. so that this subtraction can be
automated?

B.N.