Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Penny

Default Entering a range of numbers and searching same

Dave - You are such a sweetheart! Thank you. Sorry to have reposted. I
don't post often enough to know how best to do this. And how dare that boss
of yours! Aren't they all the same way.

I'm still using docs with Bates numbers. For the lack of a better
explanation from me, I'm trying to inventory all the docs. I do have
complete control over the data and how it is entered and manipulated. For
now, I have the bates number data in one field, but that can be changed.
Some records have one doc, some have hundreds within the field. Should that
be my first step, separate the beginning and ending of the range of docs?

Hope this isn't too much info. I have not had enough caffeine this morning.
Thanks again for your time. It is so very much appreciated.

Penny

"Dave O" wrote:

Hi, Penny-
I started working on a solution for you and got sidetracked (my boss is
so impetuous that way). Your earlier post said you're working with
Bates numbering- are your document numbers contiguous, or do they have
gaps? Also, by any chance are the documents related to a client
entered as two numbers in two cells (the lowest document number and the
highest document number), or are they entered in a single cell in the
format 12003-12212?

More globally speaking, do you have the latitude within your
organization to re-arrange the data if you need to, in order to make
this lookup idea possible?

DaveO