Bob Phillips

Sean,

You need VBA to count bold cells. Here is a simple example

Dim i As Long
Dim cLastRow As Long
Dim cBold As Long

cLastRow = Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
For i = 1 To cLastRow
If Cells(i, "A").Font.Bold Then
cBold = cBold + 1
End If
Next i
Range("A1").EntireRow.Insert

Range("A1").Value = "Num bold cells = " & cBold
--

HTH

RP

"Sean" wrote in message
Dear Work Group,

I am trying to count the number of cells within a work sheet where the
contents are in bold.
The context in which I am using this in an archery score sheet where the
gold in the centre of the target has two concentric circles. Both have the
value 9 but the arrows in the inner circle are counted if there is a draw

and
the person with the mist inners will then be the winner.

I use a simple COUNTIF(E4:G4,"9") to count the Golds but am having trouble
counting the inner golds.

I resolved to having the inner 9's represented by having them in bold so
that this would not affect the normal scoring but I cannot find any means

of
counting characters or cells that are in bold.

Can you assist me please?