Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Biff

Default Can't figure it out . . .

But how does the( "z",255) make the formula work ???
=LOOKUP(REPT("z",255),A1:F1)

That formula is just the text version of this formula which is for numeric
values:

=LOOKUP(9.99999999999999E+307,A1:F1)

=LOOKUP(REPT("z",255),A1:F1)

REPT("z",255) = zzzzzzzzz (255 z's)

So, the lookup value is zzzzzzzzz (255 z's)

Since there is a very high probabilty that the lookup_value will not be
found the formula returns the last TEXT value in the range.

I think Bob Phillips covers this he

http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.LastValue.html

Biff

"Michael M" wrote in message
Hey Biff
Great formula. I'd been scratching my head over the OP's question.
But how does the( "z",255) make the formula work ???
Regards
Michael M

"Biff" wrote:

You missed the new users group! Still time!

=LOOKUP(REPT("z",255),A1:F1)

=INDEX(A1:F1,MATCH("*",A1:F1,0))

Biff

"
om wrote in message
This may be simple but, I am stumped.

I have a range of six cells in a row on my spread sheet. Five cells are
empty and one contains data. I would like to find the single cell that
contains text and copy that text into a cell at the end of the row