Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom

Default How do I count the number of words in a cell?

You would need to count the spaces then, so any 3 and more names in a cell
would have at least 2 spaces

You could use a help column and a formula like

=LEN(TRIM(A2))-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(TRIM(A2)," ",""))=2

copy down, apply autofilter and filter on TRUE will give all those cells

or use conditional formatting formula is and the high light those cells

Peo Sjoblom

http://nwexcelsolutions.com

"Phil" wrote in message
Hello,

I have to come up with a way to count the number of words in a cell (they
are actually names, separated by a space), so that I can find any cells
that
have more than 3 names.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Phil.