Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Craig Fletcher

Default cell format: numbers won't be numbers

Thanks Gord...

I apologize, but I don't know what you mean by 'copy an empty cell and
select the "numbers", because if the cell is empty, there are no numbers,
right? Please help me understand, I think we are just miscommunicating.

I really appreciate your time

Craig

The numbers are probably copied in as text.

Re-formatting alone will not change them.

Try this method...................

Format all cells to General.

Copy an empty cell and selet the "numbers"

Paste SpecialAddOKEsc

That should change the "numbers" into real numerics.

If no joy, there could be spaces before or after the numbers.

These could be non-breaking spaces(160) which can be hard to get rid of.

David McRitchie has a TRIMALL macro that looks for the non-breaking space
(160)
along with other crap in cells.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 1 May 2006 12:59:00 -0600, "Craig Fletcher"

wrote:

I have some data that I copied out from a webpage (a credit card summary)
which I have since added several other columns around it (i.e., I would
much
rather not have to paste it again) and the numbers won't act like numbers.
I've tried copying them out, and doing "paste special" into a new
worksheet
with all of the different "paste special" options, and I have also tried
all
of the formatting options (currency, numbers, etc.) and still they will
not
be treated as numbers by Excel.

Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks,