Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Rob Eyes

Default Probabilty - Binomial - a simulation game?

Pieter, that is extremely generous of you. Thanks you so VERY much!

"vandenberg p" wrote:

Hello:

I think I have a little model of what you wanted. It is not complete,
it does not have all feathers that you mentioned. But it should
give you a start. Here is the file:

ftp://rohan.sdsu.edu/faculty/vandenberg/Game.zip

When you try to use it, your macro security will probably complain.
You will need to allow the macros to execute.

Pieter Vandenberg

Rob Eyes <Rob wrote:
: Hello,
: Life has presented me with an opportunity to teach some math to
: children/young adults with challenging backgrounds. Many have come a long way
: and want to pursue more challenging material. I want to teach them more about
: probability and want to design an Excel simulation. My idea was to get them
: to work out how variables altered probability.

: Specifically I am looking for help to develop a game where students would
: alter variables "probability" (expressed as a ratio or percentage) of picking
: a colored ball from a bag. So if they said there were three red balls, 4
: blue, six white etc. the simulation would calculate the probability of each
: ball. And I'd like to show them the impact of selecting "out" or "in" where
: "out" is keeping the ball (and all others selected) out of the bag for
: subsequent turns and "in" is putting the ball back in the bag. Then a random
: generator would be used to "pick" the next ball and excel would display a
: cell of the matching ball color. I then want excel to show some statistics
: like comparison of theoretical probability to outcome (to show sample size
: variance), the number of times in a row a particular ball was drawn (as in a
: streak).

: I know the math but am a baby beginner at Excel programming. It looks like
: from the help that a Binomial distribution is the function with a rounded
: random function for selection. Am I on the right track? Any ideas on "out"
: and "in"?

: Thanks very much for your help

: Rob