RagDyeR

Following your scenario, that you want A = 1 and B = 2,
I assume you want Z = 26.

If that's the case, I'd guess that the easiest way would be to create a
list, in an out of the way area of your sheet, and have a formula refer to
the list to find the exact value for the first letter in the cell, and then
append the numeric portion to that value.

In Z1 to Z26, enter the letters of the alphabet.

Then, assuming your data list started in A1,
Enter this formula in B1 and drag down to copy as needed:

=--(MATCH(LEFT(A1),$Y$1:$Y$26)&RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-1))
--

HTH,

RD

"ezu" wrote in message
In EXCEL XP PRO I am trying to write a formula to convert cells containing a
letter to a number and am having little success. i.e. A1005 to 11005 or
B1273 to 21273.

Can you enlighten me?