Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Elkar

Default Will the COUNTIF function work with auto-filtering?

I'm not sure I understand what else you're looking for? You shouldn't have
to "nest" any functions to get a count. Use the codes 100-111 instead of
1-11 to exclude filtered data.

=SUBTOTAL(103,A2:A100) will give you a count of all visible data within that
range. Any data that has been filtered out, will not be counted.

Does that help?
Elkar

"RC" wrote:

Thanks Elkar, do you have more details on how to get the SUBTOTAL function to
include or exclude filtered data? It seems to be limited to the function
numbers listed in the "Help on this function".
I'm using the COUNTA function (#3) nested in the SUBTOTAL function to get a
count of all the students in a course when I filter by course number, yet if
I can set up more SUBTOTAL functions to include or exclude data like you
mentioned then that'll be just waht is needed for funding the subtotals for
each ethnic code in the filtered data.
Thanks again,
RC

"Elkar" wrote:

Lookup help on the SUBTOTAL funciton. It can be set to include/exclude
filtered data. That should accomplish what you're looking for.

HTH,
Elkar

"RC" wrote:

I have a large amount of student demographic, course, and class data on an
Excel worksheet for an entire school district. The ethnic code for each
student is a single alpha character. I need to find a way to get a total for
each ethnic code in each course when filtering by each course.
Each column of data has a header and I am using the Auto-filter feature for
filtering. Is there a way that the COUNTIF function can be set up for each
ethnic code so that it will count from the filtered data? If not, is there
any other function, or nested functions, that will work?
Thanks,
RC