Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

Default Excel asks to save an unchanged document. Why?

Howard

Same answer as Peo.

Never used the Function but Norman Harker's Function Dictionary has this brief
description.

What Does It Do?
This function tests a range to determine whether it is a single block of
data, or whether
it is a multiple selection.
If it is a single block the result will be 1.
If it is a multiple block the result will be the number of ranges
selected.
The function is designed to be used in macros.

Syntax
=AREAS(RangeToTest)

Formatting
The result will be shown as a number.

Example
The example at the top of this page shows two ranges coloured pink and
green.
These ranges have been given the name PeopleLists.
The =AREAS(PeopleLists) gives a result of 2 indicating that there are
two separate
selections which form the PeopleLists range.

Note
To name multiple ranges the CTRL key must be used.
In the above example the pink range was selected as normal, then the
Ctrl key
was held down before selecting the green range.
When a Range Name is created it will consider both Pink and Green as
being one range.

Gord

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 10:17:42 -0700, "L. Howard Kittle"
wrote:

Hi Gord and Peo,

Where or how would you use AREAS()? I checked help and understand what it
returns but cannot think of an application where I would use the first to
return 1 and the second to return 3.

=AREAS(B2:D4)
=AREAS((B2:D4,E5,F6:I9))

Regards,
Howard

.. .
Another one bites the dust<g

My list if getting shorter every time I post it.

Thanks Peo

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 13:43:51 -0700, "Peo Sjoblom"
wrote:

Not INDEX, it became non volatile with excel 97

Peo

Perhaps you have one or more "Volatile" functions that calculate when
the
workbook is opened.

These could include

Volatile Functions.....................

AREAS()
OFFSET()
CELL()
INDIRECT()
NOW()
TODAY()
RAND()

If such is the case, you can stop the warning only if you find these
functions
and change them to fixed values by copypaste specialvalues

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 13:04:02 -0700, kkp
wrote:

Whenever I try to close an Excel documnet that I havent made any changes
to,
Excels asks me if I would like to save the document? Why? Can I stop
this?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP