Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dominic

Default Formula Question

Hi JazzyLady,

Oooh.

If I'm understanding correctly this time :-) , then you'll want to use
VLookup with a lookup table.

Here's how.

In a separate spot on the spreadsheet, or on another sheet, create your list
of values. For example:

H I
1 1 Blue
2 2 Red
3 3 Yellow

H1 = 1, I1 = Blue, H2 = 2, I2 = Red, etc etc

So your formula would look like: =VLOOKUP(B2,H1:I3,2,FALSE)

Where B2 is where the values you want to evaluate are
Where H1:I3 is your list of values and the related colors
FYI - the 2 after H1:I3 in the formula says get the value from the second
column (or color names in this case). The false means give an exact match
only.

Does that help?

"LilJazzyLady" wrote:

Well I read the replies (Thanks by the way) but I'm not sure if that is
exactly what I need. Perhaps my post wasn't very clear and keep in mind I'm
not an Excel guru
:) I want the formula to look in B2 and if the # for that cell is a 1, I
want it to say Blue, if it finds a 2 "Red", 3 "Yellow" and so forth...

"LilJazzyLady" wrote:

I have a list of numbers (ex: 1,3,5,7,9,12,13,14,15,16, etc). I need the
cell to look in another cell of a column and find one of the numbers. If it
finds it, I need it return a certain text value and if the # is not found, I
need it to return a different text value. The IF statement would be perfect
here, but my understanding is that no more than 7 IF statements can be
nested and I have more than 7. I researched the VLookup, but I don't see how
to get it to return the text values if the # is or is not found as opposed to
returning the "N/A" message. Help.

thanks