Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
William Horton

Default Text to value

If you temporarily change the regional settings for numbers on your PC to
recognize negative signs at the end of numbers you will be okay I believe.
Then copy and paste values and change the regional settings back.

"cottage6" wrote:

I'm transferring a file from Mainframe into Excel where I can manipulate the
data. Everything was working just great until I realized to my shock and
dismay, that negative numbers in Mainframe are (ex.) 16- instead of -16,
which means they are formatted as text when they import into the spreadsheet.
I've tried everything I can think of to format these numbers as values
without success. Any ideas besides re-keying the numbers which I really
don't want to do? TIA