Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Biff

Default Excel "mode" function returns different results based on sort

Sorry, I have no good recommendation other than to keep an eye on this
thread as there are some really top notch "stats" people in these groups who
may respond.

Biff

"Mark Neuffer" wrote in message
Biff,

Thanks for your reply. Unhappily, I think this treatment of a multi-modal
array is erroneous from a statistical standpoint. Any thoughts about how
can raise this with Microsoft? Mark

"Biff" wrote:

That's just how it works. Returns the first instance, just like a
Vlookup,
Match.

Biff

"Mark Neuffer" <Mark wrote in message
I am using "mode" in Excel to return the most common numeric value in a
questionnaire field. One domain contains two equally-represented
values
("1"
and "2")."Mode" returns a value of "1" if the list is sorted in
ascending
order, and returns "2" if the list is unsorted. I can find no detail
from
our cretinous friends at Microsoft as to why this might be so. Any
insights
would be appreciated.