Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Biff

Default Excel "mode" function returns different results based on sort orde

That's just how it works. Returns the first instance, just like a Vlookup,
Match.

Biff

"Mark Neuffer" <Mark wrote in message
I am using "mode" in Excel to return the most common numeric value in a
questionnaire field. One domain contains two equally-represented values
("1"
and "2")."Mode" returns a value of "1" if the list is sorted in ascending
order, and returns "2" if the list is unsorted. I can find no detail from
our cretinous friends at Microsoft as to why this might be so. Any
insights
would be appreciated.