Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bryan Hessey

Default Arrangement problems.

Assuming A = ident, B C & D = set, max 4 duplicates:

Select the data in the second set, Cut, and Paste into the first empty
row after the first set
Select all data, (the selector to the left of the column header 1 and
above the row indicator for row 1) and Data, Sort, header row, column

in E2 put

=IF(A2=A1,"Del","")

in F2 put

=IF($A2=$A3,B3,"")

and formula drag that to H2

in I2 put

=IF($A2<$A4,"",IF(B4<"",B4,""))

and formula drag that to K2

in L2 put

=IF($A2<$A5,"",IF(B5<"",B5,""))

and formula drag that to N2

Select E2 to N2 and bulk-formula drag that to the bottom of your data.

Select columns E to N and Copy, Paste Special = Values back over
itsself

Select all data and Sort, header over column E

Select all rows marked 'Del' and delete

Select all data and sort over column A

Delete column E

note, if there is only one possible duplicate then ignore column I to
If there are more than 4 duplicates just add another set of 3 columns,
row +1 and columns B C an d D per duplicate

This should produce the required result.

--

Blah Wrote:
I need some help with arranging rows of data.... here is a
simplification of my problem

I have two seperate lists

Z Y X M
A 1 2 B 4 6
B 7 9 A 5 8
C 7 9 D 7 9
D 8 8 C 6 8

I need to merge it so it is like this

X Y X M
A 1 2 5 8
B 7 9 4 6
C 7 9 6 8
D 8 8 7 9

so that the values of A in the first row merge with the values of A
on
the second row of values into one neat row...The second list has twice
as many entries as the first but should have all the same
corresponding
entries that the first list does...

--
Bryan Hessey