Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
tcarp

Default The Formula is displaying, not the result

In some cases Excel (2003 SP2) is displaying the formula in a cell, not the
results. The formula (say Concatenate or an IF) is correct and there is no
error being indicated. In one case I entered a simple Concatenate and got
the whole "=Concatenate....." displayed in the cell. I stumbled on a
workaround by entering the formula in the second cell in a column where the
formula did not display and then copying the formula to the first cell in the
column.

On another worksheet its not been so simple. I have a relatively complex
IF(ISNA(INDEX(MATCH) formula that displays fine. If I edit the formula to
pull out a portion (in this case the ISNA part), I get the formula displayed.
I've even tried to reenter the formula from scratch but get the formula
displayed.

I can't figure out a pattern here. The formulas are valid and run from very
simple to somewhat complex so I don't think it has anything to do with the
formulas themselves.

Any ideas?

Tom