Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ragdyer

Default Oooh, I guarantee you are going to have fun with this one.

As a topic of discussion:

The formulas that Biff and I suggested will return *all* matches to the
search criteria, since you didn't stipulate in your post that you would be
interested in a *specific* occurrence.

However, the formulas we posted can very easily return a *specific* instance
of the criteria if desired, and can accomplish this *without adding*
additional columns containing additional formulas.
Since your data is populating out to, say Column Z, you could enter your
criteria in AA1 and the instance (occurrence) of the criteria to return in
AA2, and the Column to return of *that* occurrence in AA3, and try this
*array* formula:

=VLOOKUP(INDEX(E1:E7,SMALL(IF(C1:C7=AA1,ROW(1:7)), AA2)),E1:Z7,AA3,0)

Array formulas must be entered with CSE, <Ctrl <Shift <Enter, instead of
the regular <Enter, which will *automatically* enclose the formula in curly
brackets, which *cannot* be done manually.
You *must also* use CSE when revising the formula.

Now, since it appears that you're looking for a single formula to return a
single value, there's no error checking included, and no absolutes for
copying down.

However, this works with your *present* data set, with *no* extra columns or
formulas ... BUT ... it *is* an array formula, so you know whether or not
this will satisfy your needs, as compared to the scenario displayed in the
link you posted.

RD

"Clueless" wrote in message
I would, with a vlookup function, but in order to use vlookup, I have to

know
what it is I am looking for. But never mind with an answer, apparently
someone else had the same problem and came up with a solution: creating a
function all of their own, which works for me like a charm. If anyone is
interested, here is the link:

http://www.ozgrid.com/Excel/find-nth.htm

I would like to thank you all for helping me. This really is a wonderful
resource and has gotten me out of a tight spot more times than I can

count.

Best regards,

Joe

"Ragdyer" wrote:

If I understand what you're saying, you're looking to return a value

from
*various* columns, dependent on the row matching a criteria.
BUT ... what determines *which* row, since you have multiple rows

matching
the criteria?

RD