Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Sandy Mann

Default Meter Readings

"Maria Tracey" wrote in message

Should B10 be B2 ?

Yes it should - you are better than I am! <g

As to why it does not work - what do you mean by does not work? do you get
a zero returned? nothing? or a wrong answer?

In my limited test I entered the following:

B2 10
C2 123456
D2 234567
E2 345678

Note that C2 must have a full length of digits or if it is less - for
example 123 - must be text so that it will show as 000123. Formatting the
number 123 to show three leading zeros will not suffice because Excel still
will just see a three digit number - the zeros are just formatting and are
not real.

The formula then returned 1111110 which is equivalent to (E2-D2)*10 which is
correct.

I then added:

F2 987654 and got an answer of 641976 which again is correct.

Next I added:

G2 123

Note that as C2 is returning the correct number of digits all the other
cells do not need to because the formula only references C2 in 10^len(C2)

the formula then returned 124690 which is equivalent to (1000000-G2+F2)*10
which again is correct.

--
HTH

Sandy

with @tiscali.co.uk

"Maria Tracey" wrote in message

"Sandy Mann" wrote in message
Hi Tracey.

I think that it is impertinent to change someone else's formula but as
Daddy still does not seem to be around and with my apologies to Daddy,
try:

Insert a new Column B and enter the multiplier in it: 1 for no
multiplier, 10 for x10 etc and 0.1 for divide by 10 etc.

Then change the formula to:

=MOD(LOOKUP(10^LEN(C2),D2:IV2)-LOOKUP(10^LEN(C2),D2:IV2,C2:IV2),10^LEN(C2))*B10

as before the *number* (or at least C2) must be text so that leading
zeros count as real characters

One caveat, if both figures are the same the formula will return zero and
if the first reading is smaller than the second it will return an error
of the capacity of the meter

Once again my apologies to Daddy

--
HTH