Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Duke Carey

Default Counting unique values with criteria

Why not use DataFilterAdvanced Filter to extract the unique combinations of
Cs and Employees, then build your Pivot table off the unique records?

"Kevin McCartney" wrote:

Hi TWIMC

OK, I have the following test data in an Excel workbook and I want to be
able in a pivot table to count the number of clients for each employee.

A B C
C1 20 EMPLOYEE1
C1 22 EMPLOYEE1
C2 4 EMPLOYEE1
C3 14 EMPLOYEE1
C3 11 EMPLOYEE1
C4 7 EMPLOYEE1
C5 9 EMPLOYEE1
C1 4 EMPLOYEE2
C1 2 EMPLOYEE2
C2 10 EMPLOYEE2
C3 8 EMPLOYEE2
C3 23 EMPLOYEE2
C4 15 EMPLOYEE2
C5 15 EMPLOYEE2

Currently the pivot table adds up the each row thus giving a total number of
7 clients for employee 1 but I want to see 5.

Now I believe I'll need to create a new column to be included in the pivot
table which I can then sum rather than count and I've found on numerous
posting here and on other internet site the following formula,
=SUM(IF(LEN(Sheet1!$A$2:$A$100)0,1/COUNTIF(Sheet1!$A$2:$A$100,Sheet1!$A$2:$A$100))),
but I need to adapt this formula to only look at the range for each employee,
so I think I need to use either SUBTOTAL or SUMPRODUCT, but not sure which or
how. so any help would be much appreciated.

TIA
KM