Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
SuzyQ52

Default Selection sticks in Excel

I found another post on the same subject, and the advice there worked for me-
press both the righ and left mouse keys at the same time, and if it's a
scroll mouse, press down the scroll wheel.

"SuzyQ52" wrote:

F8 isn't fixing it for me - I still have the EXT and the only way I can even
get out of Excel is by using Task Manager. This is very frustrating, and I
know it has to be something boneheadedly simple!

"MarieB" wrote:

I have this problem but F8 doesn't fix it; whilst it does take the EXT form
the status bar, I have the same 'locking' problem - any ideas?

"Thom" wrote:

Excellent! That's it! How the heck did you figure that out? (Not sure why
students would be messing with th f8 key -- but that's a whole different
question!)

Cheers!
--
Thanks....Thom

"ScottO" wrote:

OK, look in the status bar toward the right hand end.
If you see EXT, then *someone* has pressed the F8 key.
Hit the F8 key (as hard as you like:) to turn the *feature* off.
Rgds,
ScottO

"Thom" wrote in message
| That's a good thought....except if that were the case, clicking the
mouse
| button again would turn the click-lock off again. Clicking the
mouse button
| doesn't turn it off, Esc won't turn it off, even closing out of
Excel and
| opening it again sometimes doesn't turn it off.
| --
| Thanks....Thom
|

| "ScottO" wrote:
|
| It might be a mouse setting ...
| Go to Control Panel and open up the Mouse configuration dialog.
| On the Buttons tab, there's a section called ClickLock, if my
guess
| is correct the Turn on ClickLock selection will be ticked.
| If so, untick it, click OK and retest.
| If not, my guess is no good ....
| Rgds,
| ScottO
|
| "Thom" wrote in message
| | I teach Excel to beginning students. Periodically, a student
will
| get
| | something turned on that seems to lock the mouse button on
while
| selecting
| | cells. They left click on a cell and then move the mouse to
select
| a range
| | but when they release the mouse button, Excel continues
| highlighting cells
| | where ever they move the mouse. I have been unable to figure
out
| how they
| | get it turned on or how to turn it off. Sometimes, even
closing