Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CLR

Default converting a string of information into excel cells

Just highlighting the column and going through one at a time and doing
Find/Replace on all the wild characters and replacing them all with the ^
then Data TextToColumns Delimited, using ^ as te delimiter and treating
consecutive delimiters as one........this will give you a good start.......

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"H.W." wrote:

Here in Texas our Drivers license has a mag stripe on the back with all the
D.L. information. I need to be able to swipe the D.L. an have the information
go into ExCell cells. Here is what I get when I swipe a D.L.:
%TXDALLAS^BLOW$JOE$DAN^123 SOMESTREET^?;63601512345678=060919740927?
(THIS IS ALL ONE LONG STRING. THE FORMATING HERE IN THE QUESTION BOX IS
SCREWING IT UP)

After the "%" is the state and city. Between the first "^" and second "^" is
lastname firstname midname with a "$" as the seperator. Between the second
"^" and the third "^" is their address. After the third "^" is "?;" then
their D.L. number until you get to the "=". The first four digits after the
"=" is the expiration date of their D.L. The last eight digits is their
birthday in the format YYYYMMDD. And then finially a "?" that ends the string.

Anyone have a good way to seperate this all out?

H.W.