Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjobom

Default assigning points to rankings

You could just use a lookup

=VLOOKUP(C7,{1,6;2,5;3,4;4,3;5,2;6,1;7,0},2)

where C7 is the rank

Peo Sjoblom

Excel 95 - Excel 2007
Nothwest Excel Solutions
www.nwexcelsolutions.com
if you are in one stop digging." Lord Healey

"Nan-C" wrote in message
I have ranked the times of races for 30 participants. The results are in a
column. I want to display the points given in the next column. The only
points given are for 1st through 6th place. 1st=6pts, 2nd=5pts, 3rd=4pts,
4th=3pts, 5th=2pts, 6th=1pt, 7th place through 30th place =0. Times,
therefore ranks, will change with each race, so this information needs to
be
in every cell in that column.

NAME TIME RANK PTS
Joe 12.05 2 5
Mary 13.00 3 4
Sue 10.57 1 6
Sam 15.04 8 0

I figured out the rank formula, but I can't figure out how to assign the
points. Can someone help me, please?