Peo Sjoblom

I am not sure I understand what yopu mean but perhaps this will work in E2

=ABS(SUM(D12:D20)-D1)

in E1

=D1

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"Fuzzy Odie" wrote:

I am working with a book inventory in excel. In rows 1 thru 10 column D, I
record the quantity of a book purchased under seperate invoices. In rows 12
thru 20 Column D, I record the quantity of that book sold to seperate
parties. I want to create a formula in column E of row 1 that will subtract
the total of column D rows 12 thru 20 from column D row 1 without a negative
number so that it will post the overage into column D row 2. Example: D1 = 4,
the sum of D12:D20 =5, E1 should equal D1 and E2=1. Please offer some
sugestions. Thank you.