Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Alan

Default How to evaluate a 'dotted' number using formulae (not UDF)

"Biff" wrote in message
The final numerics can be compared easily and will always work (we
may have to make it five digits or even ten, but the principle is
sound).

If each "segment" is padded to a certain number of chars and based
on the concept of converting the string to a numeric number the
limitation is 15 digits.

Let me tinker around with this and see if I can come up with
something. It's getting late where I'm at so I may not respond again
until tomorrow.

Biff

"Alan" wrote in message

"Biff" wrote in message

I knew it would be more complicated!

{Grin}

How many dots will there/can there be?

I'm thinking that maybe we can get something to work if we get rid
of all but the first dot:

9.05
8.1714

Biff

I think the maximum I have seen is three dots and minimum is one
dot (never just a numeric). Happy to make that assumption.

Does that help?

What about this though:

8.1.81 is prior to 8.17.1

But if we lose the second dot we would have:

8.181 is before 8.171

which would be hard to cover.

If we could find a way to force all segments to have, say, three
digits it would become trivial:

8.1.81 - 008.001.081 - 008001081

8.17.1 - 008.017.001 008017001

The final numerics can be compared easily and will always work (we
may have to make it five digits or even ten, but the principle is
sound).

Would that be possible somehow?

Thanks for helping me!

Alan.
--

The views expressed are my own, and not those of my employer or
anyone

My current valid email address is:

email address.

ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

Hi Biff,

No worries - it is getting on here too (NZ).

This is not urgent, it is a big problem that is ongoing so I thought
I'd sort it out, only to find it wasn't as simple as I had figured.

Tomorrow or next week would be fine.

Thanks again for working this through with me.

Alan.