Default lookup, index, match, offset, etc.

I am having trouble performing a lookup function. I've tried a few
suggestions I've found by searching the user groups, and cannot seem to
get one to work for me.

I have an array consisting of dates (column 1) and prices (columns 2
and 3 below, but many columns in my sheet. Below the array are some
basic descriptor statistics, including max and min. I'd like a lookup
function that tells me, for each column, what date corresponds to the
max and min, as in cells F2:G3, below.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,
Michael

1 2 3
A Jan-04 $4 $2
B Feb-04 $1 $8