Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Fin Analyst

Default Xirr?

Robo~

XIRR is more if you have an irregular cash flow, see the example below.

Internal Rate of Return (for non-periodic cash flow)

(40,000,000) October 1, 1997
23,440,000 February 23, 2001
6,560,000 May 23, 2001
(11,500,000) December 5, 2002
46,500,250 December 31, 2004

8.90% XIRR(B3:B7,C3:C7,0.01)

In the formula, B3:B7 is the cash flow amounts. C3:C7 are the dates, and
0.01 is the guess. You need at least one negative cash flow for the XIRR to
work. I don't think this is the correct formula for you. I'm not sure if
you can calculate it without any cash flows. Sorry I couldn't be more
helpful. At least maybe you learned about XIRR?

Jaclyn

"Robo" wrote:

Help please?

I have a property portfolio spreadsheet containing

Purchase Date 28/2/03
Purchase cost £161,053

Current Valuation Date 31/3/06
Current valuation £194,984

Costs £4,832

How can I calculate my return on the investment using XIRR or is this
not the correct function to use?

Any help please

--
Robo