AL

Default Network access to file - read only property

I have a simple workgroup setup for the office. All computers are using XP
Pro and Office 2003.

PC1 has a spreadsheet on it and can be shared via "simple file sharing"
across the network. The file is password protected in order to open the
file.

The problem?? When I open the file from a remote PC, the file is "read
only". I've checked the properties for the file and each time I look, the
"read only" box is checked despite clearing it earlier. In excel itself,
I've removed the check for "suggesting read only" when first opening the
file.

What am I overlooking? How can a remote user gain access to the file
without it defaulting to "read only"?

TIA - AL