Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bernie Deitrick

Default Hyperlink function fails when using variable row number

Balex,

=HYPERLINK("#Notes!B" & ROW();"Click for Note")

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Balex" wrote in message
Hi

I have a very irritating hyperlink problem.

Let me first explain what I want, which is very simple:
I have a first sheet called "Project overview" with, in the rows, a list of
projects/tasks. To some of these projs/tasks, I'd like to add a lengthy note
of explanation. So I decided to have on the second sheet, called "Notes", on
the same row and column as the proj/task on the overview sheet, the
corresponding note. To indicate the presence of a note, and to make
navigation to the note and back, I added a hyperlink. So far so good.

Then I decided to improve, because I wanted the hyperlink to have a variable
row number, in fact the row number of the cell where the hyperlink is, so
that I could copy the hyperlink cell to another task in an other row and it
would reference that other row.

So I wanted the hyperlink to have, instead of the working version:
=HYPERLINK("#Notes!B21";"Click for Note") (if the proj/task was in the
overview in cell B21)
I wanted to have something like:
=HYPERLINK("""#Notes!B" & ROW() & """";"Click for Note")
i.e. replacing the fixed value 21 with the current row number.

Well, NO WAY can I get this to work. I can fiddle with the apostrophes, the
# sign and whatever as much as I want, it WON'T work ! All I get is the usual
"Cannot open the specified file ".

I'm pulling my hair out. Can somone please tell me what the right syntax is
and why ?

Thanks
Balex