Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Tayo

Default How can I generate random characters in Excel

Thanks Andrew but I have some other questions:

(1) How can I make sure that the characters generated are not repeated in
any of the cells?

(2) Some cells returns null characters while some others return characters
whose length is less than the specified length in LEN. How can I control the
length of characters the code will return?

Thanks

"Andrew Taylor" wrote:

"list" is an Excel Name for the cell containing the list of characters.

You could use a cell reference instead, e.g.:

=MID(A1,1+INT(RAND()*LEN(A1)),1)

where A1 contains (say)
1234567890abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMN OPQRSTUVWXYZ

Tayo wrote:
Is the word 'list' in the formular the name of the header for the list? The
formular is not working. It's returning a #NAME? error. FYI, I am using
Excel 2003.

"Andrew Taylor" wrote:

Put all the possible characters in a cell, and name it as "list".
Then
=MID(list,1+INT(RAND()*LEN(list)),1)
will give a random character from the list. Use as many of these
as you need.

Andrew

Tayo wrote:
How can I generate random characters (both letters and numbers) into
different cells (both rows & columns) at he same time in excel?