Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
MO

Default Count Function

Richard,

Thanks for your patience. I manually typed in totals for Column B, that is
why they are not accurate. Your formula works. However, it gives me the
number of x's in Column A only not Column B. It seems confusing for me to
have the totals in columns E & F. I would like to have the totals in the
same column (i.e. totals for column A in Column A, etc.) For example there
are 6 x's in column A. I would like below column A to show 2 x's are N, 1 x
is E, 2x's are S, 1 x is W. Then in the same column I would like to total
the number of x's, which in this case is 6. So if you add N, E, S, W in
column A you get 6. Does this make sense? I'm sorry for the long delay, but
I will be checking all day to see if you can help. I appreciate your assist
thus far
--
Thank you for you help
MO

"Richard Buttrey" wrote:

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 05:58:34 -0800, MO
wrote:

Richard,

I was off on 3/13. It "kinda" works! However, there are two counts I need.
I need the cound of all N, E, S, W by column and then a total of all x's in
each column. Here's another sample of what I'm trying to do. I manually put
totals in where I need them. Any other assistance you can provide is truly
appreciated. Thank you so much for your patience.

x N
x E
x S
x W
x S
x E
x N
x N
x N
x E
TOTALS
N 2 2
E 1 2
S 2 0
W 1 0
TOTALS 6 2

Hi,

The SUMPRODUCT formula works for me OK.

Just to repeat. Put your example table above in A1:C10 (i.e. the x's
in columns A & B and the N, E, S W etc in Col C.

Then in E1:E4 enter N, E, S & W

Then in F1 enter

=SUMPRODUCT((A$1:A$10="x")*($C$1:$C$10=$E1))

This will result in '2' i,e the number of N's in col 1.

Now copy this formula to F1:G4 and you should have the small summary
table you identify above.

The totals of all the x's is of course a simple SUM(F1:F4) formula in
F5 and SUM(G1:G4) in G5

Was it a typo above when you say the total number of x's in col B is
2. Surely that should be 4?

If I'm still misunderstanding your problem, please post back.

Rgds

__
Richard Buttrey
Grappenhall, Cheshire, UK