Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
thechilipino

Default Charting data

hi tonystowe:

not sure if you've already been helped, if not...

one potential way to get your the information you're after (non-pivottable
version) is to use the CountIf function:

1. in column E of your file, type out the unique names of the offices you
have in your list, ie Cell E1 = Office, E2 = Sales, E3 = Shipping, etc
2. setup a dynamic named range so you can count the frequency of the
relevant office (so you dont have to keep changing the range definition)
Insert - Name - Define - Type 'Office' and under 'Refers to' type
'=offset(Sheet1!$B$2,0,0,counta($B:$B),1)
3. in F2, type in the following formula: =countif(office,"="&E2)
4. Copy & Paste that formula down the list of your offices

** that should give the count of how many times each office name was used
in the data list**

now for your chart...

1. highlight data table with office and count
2. select Pie Chart - Next - Next - in the data labels tab choose
Percentage - Finish

i think (and hope) that is what you were looking for. please post if ws
helpful or you need additional guidance.

cheers.

"tonystowe" wrote:

Hello,

I need your all's help and would appreciate any advice you can offer.

ColA
ColB ColC
In Sheet1, Row1 I have the column titles of | DATE | OFFICE | REPORT

DATE is the date a specific report is given concerning a specific
office.

OFFICE is where I specific whom the report concerns (sales, shipping,
etc)

REPORT is where I write the specifics of the information given.

What I want to do

I want one graph to show the total number of reported incidents by
associated OFFICE in a percentile formatted Pie Chart. I do not know
how to create a graph to look at Sheet1, sort the reports by OFFICE and
present that data in a graph. I have read a little about Pivot tables
but I do not understand them enough to get the correct answer nor will
it update as I enter more lines of data.

--
tonystowe
tonystowe's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=33162