Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bryan Hessey

Default sorting golf scores

I don't quite understand how you can tell whether the zero was sum'd or
not, perhaps you mean that you only want to discard the highest score
if more than 4 people play, but count all (four) scores if 4 or less
play, this would be:

=IF(COUNTIF(B4:B9,"0")4,SUM(B4:B8)-MAX(B4:B8),SUM(B4:B8))

which works even if two reach the same (max) score.

Hope this helps.

--

Tommy Wrote:
here is my formula
=sum(b4:b8)-max(b4:b8)

again it will give me only the total of 3 golfers if only 4 play,
sometimes
the fifth doesn't show up and a zero is entered. So I do I 4 scores
but
again only 3 are added. I have to throw out the highest if all 5
players
show up.

"Bryan Hessey" wrote:

Without seeing your formula it would be hard to say, however, if you

set
the 'score cell' to a format of ##0 you can then use something like
=COUNTIF(A:A,"<")
to count the zero values too.

You will need to adjust the A:A reference to suit your needs.

--

Tommy Wrote:
I have 5 players on your team and I must throw out the highest

score, i
know
how to do that, but if only 4 players show up it only give me a

total
for 3
players and all 4, how do i get it to see the 0 score entered and

not
messup
my formula.

--