Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Patricia Shannon

Default Nested IF Statement Question

Depending on what you're doing, another possibility is the "Select Case"
statement.
Look up "case" or "select case" in help It's a good thing to know about
even if it's not what you need here.

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

"EleKtriKaz" wrote
in message ...

Hi,

I discovered a while back that Excel will only let you nest up to 7 IF
statements. This makes no sense to me, and I can't even come up with a
reason as to why Microsoft would continue to support this limitation
with the processing power of computers today...but I digress.

Because it is bad coding and there is always another way, It's easy to
non-thinkingly just add another condition, and then suddenly the spreadsheet
is as slow as a tortoise, and you post saying why do MS sustain such slow
spreadsheets.

My problem is that I have a worksheet with a drop down list that has
about 30 items in it. I'm trying to construct the sheet so that when
one of the items in the list is selected it will populate a few other
cells.

This sounds like a clssic case for a table of values, and use VLOOKUP to
retrieve using the selected value. Help has plenty of detail.