Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
RichardOKeefe

Default Inconsistent CSV export format

Thanks for the reply. Tried downloading the file but it came back with a
page not found error.

Richard

"exceluserforeman" wrote:

Try my CSV exporter at
http://au.geocities.com/excelmarksway

Text Writer Section

workingCSV_01.xls

I am not sure if it will do the job but would be interested to know if it
does!

exceluserforeman

"RichardOKeefe" wrote:

I'm retrieving data from an Oracle database ino a CSV file so that it can be
manipulated in Excel, saved back to a CSV file and then imported back the
Oracle database. Part of the manipulation is to remove the last couple of
columns which are for display purposes only. The last column left after
deleting the display columns can have null values ie blank cells. My problem
is that when I save the file back to CSV format, rows that end in a blank
column sometimes end with a comma to denote the last blank or null column and
sometimes don't. The ones that are missing the trailing comma don't load
into Oracle properly. They do load into a table becasue Oracle recognises
trailing null columns but I'm loading the last several columns as one to
process them separately It is this process that is failing because rows that
are missing the trailing comma cause a mismatch with the expected number of
columns being loaded back in.

The first row of the CSV file is a set of headers that define the columns in
each row.

Is there some way of getting around this eg cell formatting?

Thanks in advance.