Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Default Import data into seperate columns

I don't see the double quotes. I don't see the commas between fields.

But if each of those paragraphs is actually a line in a text file, I could
import the data using delimited by tilde (~) and got different fields.

naulerich wrote:

Here is a sample of the data, thanks so much!

5493~ BASE-(Claims) Auto Format Update I~ Today most of our sites are
utilizing the WEBMD_NSF Format. To ensure that all sites are prepared for
MSP, electronic secondary, and using the latest claims submission formats we
must prep for migrating sites to the latest 4E format. This requirement is in
sync with the EDI requirement with the same name. This is a multi-step
project.~ Today most of our sites are utilizing the WEBMD_NSF Format. To
ensure that all sites are prepared for MSP, electronic secondary, and using
the latest claims submission formats we must prep for migrating sites to the
latest 4E format. This requirement is in sync with the EDI requirement with
the same name. This is a multi-step project.~ <<internal source group~ Have
to Have~ ~

5501~ BASE_Patient/Account Alert in Check-in~ Patient Alerts do not
currently work in Patient Check-in. So unless the front desk brings up the
detail on the patient, alerts are not presented to the user causing them to
miss critical items at the first contact with the patient.

By presenting this alert when the patient is chosen on the check in list,
the user will make or take the proper action necessary based on the alert
message.~ Need to activate Patient and Account Alert during patient check-in.
Not currently working in Patient Check-in.~ <<internal source group~ Nice
to Have~ ~

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

I think you should copy a few of the lines from the text file into your followup
post--if you don't get it working.

naulerich wrote:

I am using 2003 it is not respecting the ""...I am going to have the souce
data delimiter changes to a ~ and see if that helps.

Thanks!

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

I don't have xl2k anymore, but that's not the way I remember it working.

I put:

"123","test, text","this is a test","abc"
"123","test, text","this is a test","abc"
"123","test, text","this is a test","abc"

in a text file and xl2003 imported it nicely (test, text was one field).

Can you try it one more time?

Doug Kanter wrote:

In Excel 2000, it doesn't "respect" the commas. The OP has text strings with
commas within them. Excel interprets them as delimiters, regardless of the
quotes.

"Dave Peterson" wrote in message
When you do File|Open, you should be able to specify Delimited (by a
comma).
Excel will respect those strings within double quotes.

naulerich wrote:

I have a .txt file that looks like:

"123","test text","this is a test","abc"

I want my output in excel to be the following:

A1=123
B1=test text
C1=this is a test
D1=abc

Potential problem is that there are commas through out the "test text"
and
"this is a test" columns therefore text to columns wont work. However
what I
need to show in each separate column is enclosed in quotes.

Any help would be appreciated!

--

Dave Peterson

--