Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pele

Default Link in Excel not working

Dave,

Thanks very much...I was able to find the link by following your advice.
You've helped me solve problem #2.

Can you help with problem #1. When I open the dependent file and tell it not
to update links, my assumption is that it will update the latest info from
the source data since it was last saved but that it won't update the old
information. Unfortunately, it doesn't do that. BUT when I have the source
file open and open the dependent file, the latest data added to the source
file is updated even when I tell it not to update links (which I think is the
way it should be). Can you advice as to what I should do.

Pele

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

When I can't find links, I'll use Bill Manville's FindLink program:
http://www.oaltd.co.uk/MVP/Default.htm

Pele wrote:

I have an excel worksheet that has links to other files; when it opens, I
tell Excel NOT to update the links (this I believe will ensure that only the
newest data in the remote file will be updated). There are two problems with
this linked file.

1) When it open up, the file does not update with the newest data from the
source. But when I go to each cell and press F2 and Enter, then it updates.
It should have updated automatically.

2) I used Edit Links and it shows a link to a source file that should not
have been there. I tried to find where that link occured in an equation, but
I couldn't. How do I go about tracking down the link or removing this source
file.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Pele

--